Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Napa Again!

This past weekend we went on a double date. We went on a double date with my parents. We went on a double date with my parents to Napa. I really needed this get-a-way and am so happy we went.
 
We stayed at the Carneros Inn again. Gosh, I just love that place. Our rooms weren't ready yet when we got there so we had some appetizers and a glass of wine at the hotel.
 
 

We then headed to the first and only winery of Friday, Palmaz. Palmaz is a young winery since they have only been open since the mid 2000's. Basically, their entire facility is underground because they use the gravity method, and no building can be more than three stories tall in Napa Valley. It goes underground about 150 feet. It's definitely different from any winery I have seen. The grounds are beautiful as they are set on the side of a mountain.




 



Palmaz is unique because they take you on a tour first, and then you go into a room and taste their wines with paired little bites.


 

 
The wines were delicious. I loved Palmaz and would highly recommend it.
 
The next day we slept late and had the most delightful breakfast outside at the hilltop dining room. The weather was just perfect. Delightful was the word of the day. We then went to the hotel's market and got ourselves a picnic lunch for later.
 
I snapped some pictures of our room/cottage before we left.
 
Mahoney 2


Our room and my parents room backed up to each other. Pretty convenient.





Not a bad view from our little courtyard.

 
First winery of the day, Plumpjack. Our hotel is owned by Plumpjack so we got free tastings there.
 
 
The one thing about going to Napa at the end of November is that all of the vines are brownish. It's much prettier in the summer/early fall but I guess that is why our rooms were discounted!




My mom found a new friend, of course. His name is Henry.


Second up, Silver Oak. Blake and I went there last year, but we had to take the rents there. They LOVE Silver Oak. I think it was their favorite.



Here is that picnic I mentioned we bought. We ate it after our tour and taste at Silver Oak in the courtyard area.

 
And, the last of the day, Chimney Rock. This was probably our least favorite. I'm not sure if we were just tired of cabs by then or if the wine was just too much for us. Our guide at Palmaz recommended it. Either way, we each came home with a bottle so we will see.

 
We then we back to the hotel and did this for a couple hours before dinner.
 
 
We then went into downtown Napa for dinner at Celedon which was quite good.
 

Sunday morning before we left we had to go sit those adirondack chairs that we took our Christmas Card picture in last year. It's so relaxing up there its unreal.


 
We came away with 7 bottles of wine. Not too shabby. Can't wait to open them!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment