No one really ever talks much about their troubles in trying to conceive. It's been labeled taboo or something. But, I will share. I know so many people have been through or are going through the same thing as Blake and I, so if my story is able to give someone else hope then that is all that matters.
The road hasn't been an easy one for Blake and I. We started trying for a baby in September 2013 and have suffered two miscarriages in the process. The first was absolutely devastating in November 2013. I was pregnant with twins (twins run in my family), and at my first doctors appointment at 10 weeks they asked us if our dates could be off because they were only measuring 6 1/2 weeks. I knew then and there that we had a big problem because I was very actively tracking my cycle and had gotten a positive pregnancy test 5 weeks prior. The math didn't add up. My doctor chose to be positive, sent me home with a progesterone prescription, and hoped my dates were wrong. A week later I miscarried. The week before Thanksgiving.
My doctor told us to wait three months before trying again. We waited. Tried for three months with no luck, then in June 2014 I got another positive pregnancy test. I called my doctor immediately and went in for blood work. A few days later, I miscarried at 5 weeks. It was almost as if I was expecting this to happen because it wasn't nearly as hard as the first time around. Was it still sad? Of course! But, at that point I was more worried that something was wrong with me. Why couldn't my body hold on to these babies?!
After the second miscarriage I was diagnosed with low progesterone levels as well as Autoimmune Thyroiditis. Progesterone is greatly needed in the first trimester of pregnancy, and I had low levels of it. I was put on progesterone supplement. Autoimmune Thyroiditis is basically hypothyroidism due to my body's immune system attacking my thyroid. My mom also has it, and it is hereditary. I was also put on thyroid medication.
Since I had just miscarried, we were waiting the three months before trying again. But in July, I felt like I was coming down with a bladder infection because my bladder was hurting a bit when I went to the bathroom. I went to my general doctor for them to check and the results came back all clear. She did suggest that I go have an abdominal ultrasound because it could be endometreosis or something else due to my miscarriages.
A few days later I go to the ultrasound and MRI place. While in there, the ultrasound tech asked if we were trying to get pregnant. I said no and that we were actively not trying at the moment. Then she said "Well, is there any way you COULD be pregnant?" I said no, again. We had been using condoms and I was still actively tracking ovulation so we could avoid as well as possible. Then, she had me go take a pregnancy test just in case. I was literally annoyed that she was making me do that because I knew that I wasn't pregnant. Well, lo and behold, I was. I was 5 weeks and 4 days pregnant from the ultrasound measurement. I started shaking when she told me because there was no way. Was there? I guess my hormones were a little out of whack from the miscarriage and me starting the progesterone. Maybe my cycle was off.
Well, it happened one way or another. This little miracle happened. And once we got over the initial shock, we were extremely happy. I was on progesterone so that gave me a little peace of mind. My first OB/GYN appointment and ultrasound went great. My first trimester screen went great. And, my second OB/GYN appointment went great. Then, one day during week 13 I started spotting and it was literally the scariest thing ever. It brought back the awful memories and feelings from the first time around. I went to the doctor, ultrasound looked good, baby looked good, and they couldn't find anything wrong with me. I was put on bed rest for 10 days and the spotting stopped. My doctor said that sometimes this just happens.
It is pretty funny actually, because I was trying to hard to control the situation, tracking ovulation, becoming obsessed with the idea of getting pregnant. But, its all in God's timing. No amount of controlling the situation helped. He decides when. We are praying for a smooth ride the rest of the way, and trust that God has this little baby in the palm of His hands.
We had a little gender reveal with my family a couple weeks ago. I wanted to do something that would be fun for my nephews and something outside the box. Silly string was the perfect idea. I had the nurse call my friend, Amanda, with the results so no one in my family would know before the gender reveal. I then bought 8 blue and 8 pink silly string cans, and made them look somewhat cute. Then I brought all 16 cans over to Amanda's house and asked her to take the wrong color and give me the right color cans, but mix up the tops so the 8 I brought home had 4 blue tops and 4 pink tops. And then we sprayed!!!
For some reason I was so nervous right here. The color of stuff inside this can would shape the rest of our lives...

PINK!
This one is my favorite!

We can't wait to meet you precious girl! We have prayed many a night for you, and you are already more loved than you will ever know.





No comments:
Post a Comment