Thursday, March 28, 2013

Lighting Fixtures



Okay, so if you know me you know how much joy moving/decorating a new house brings me! Along with the joy comes a little stress with wanting everything to be perfect and not having the patience to wait for it to be perfect. But, I am slowly learning to let that go.
 
We move in T- minus 2 and 1/2 weeks! Packing sucks, but that is neither here nor there. Since I am going to eventually make the transition to have the new title of interior decorator, I am going to do some blog posts about decor and home design for the new house. I get giddy just thinking about it...
 
Let's talk about lighting. The current home owners are taking a couple of lighting fixtures with them to their new house. Translation: I get to buy new fixtures! WooHoo! Wait, I have never done lighting fixtures before. Our townhouse had upgraded lighting that worked well enough. Where do I start? What are the rules about lighting? OMG, so much to learn.
 
I have orderd three fixtures that are on the way!  
 
ENTRY WAY
 
 Smokebell Semi-flushmount Ceiling Lantern -4 finishes!


Finding lighting for 8' ceilings is not easy. I really wanted to go with a hanging lantern, but almost all hung down too low. I finally found this semi flush mount lantern at Shades of Light that is just right at 13.5" high. That means someone would have to be 6' 9" to hit their head on it. I don't plan on having over any NBAers so I think we are good to go.
 
 
DINING ROOM
 
French Candelabra Chandelier
 
This one gave me the most trouble. We are turning the front living room (there are two living rooms) into a dining room. Currently, there is no electrical lighting the room at all. The current homeowners have a few lamps in there. So, we will have to have an electrician out to install this, but a beautiful chandelier above a dining room table makes a room. I did A LOT of research on this one and finally settled on this French Candelabra Chandelier from Wisteria. I am 99% sure it is an Aiden Gray chandelier, or if not its a really good knock off. I got 25% off of this puppy during a buy more save more sale. I love a good sale.
 
I have learned through self internet education that the general rule for hanging a dining room chandelier is that the bottom of the fixture should hang between 30" and 36" from the tabletop assuming you have an 8' ceiling. That gives me a few inches of wiggle room for the chain. Superb!
 
MASTER BATH
 
 
"Florence" Mini Chandelier
 
The last fixture needed was one to hang over the master bathtub. A smaller one was in order here. The new bathroom is mostly white with silver hardware. I really wasn't sure what style I wanted to go with, but when I saw this one that was on sale at Horchow it sealed the deal.
 
I needed to make sure that all of these fixtures blended with the others in the house, and I am pretty certain that they do! I am very thankful that the current homeownes have my taste in light fixtures because all the ones they picked out are wonderful.
 
We head to Round Top tomorrow. Fingers crossed I find something really great for the new house! I LOVE DECORATING! :)
 


No comments:

Post a Comment