I had the pleasure of being the maid of honor in my best friend's wedding this past weekend (pictures to come later). I was excited about every single part of being a maid of honor except the dreaded rehearsal dinner speech. However, I think it went pretty well if I do say so myself. In case you were wondering what was said...
"Good Evening! For those of you who don't know me, I am Evan Allen, the maid of honor. Katie and I have been best friends for about 11 years - since freshman year of high school. She means the absolute world to me and I am thrilled to be a part of such a special day in their lives.
Katie has been the best friend I could ask for in so many ways. She's always been right there with me through all the ups and downs in life. We've come to know one another so well, that I feel like we have an understanding as friends that goes beyond words. I know that Katie has found her true match in Austin. He makes her so happy, and I couldn't’t have asked for a better husband for my best friend. They compliment each other perfectly. You guys have a wonderful adventure ahead of you, and with God's blessing I know your marriage will last for decades to come.
Being a newlywed myself I feel obligated to share words of advice to Austin, and Austin only, that will help Katie out and keep your marriage happy and healthy…
· Austin - Always remember to say those three important little words..."You're right dear." If you're clever, you'll always have the last word. However, if you are very clever, you won't use it.
· Number 2 - Whenever you are wrong, admit it. Whenever you are right, shut up.And, Austin, always remember...a happy wife, makes for a happy life!
· Third - If your new bride is running late, don’t repeatedly tell her the time. She knows she is late. And don’t go to the car and honk. This is not helpful, because then she will get angry and forget what she is looking for, which most of the time will be something that you need. Either ask what you can do or get out of the way. And, if she asks, her dress looks beautiful, and, please, try to be sincere when you say it.
· Always buy her a gift for your anniversary, even if she says she doesn’t want anything. Even if you agree to not exchange gifts, buy her something. Agreeing to not exchange gifts only means she doesn’t have to get you anything.
· Do not try to be an interior decorator. That is her job. I don’t care if you hate the color red. In a year she will too and want to change it anyway.
· And last but not least, to both Katie and Austin, a favorite quote of ours - remember – don’t sweat the petty stuff and don’t pet the sweaty stuff.
On a serious note, my greatest wish for the two of you is that through the years, your love for each other will deepen and grow. Years from now, may you look back on this day, your wedding day, as the day you loved each other the least. I wish you both the very best.
Please raise your glasses for a toast to Katie and Austin:
Take each day and cherish your time together. Love one another and stand together. Take time to talk to each other. Put your love and your family first; your job and your hobbies second. Here’s to love, laughter, and happily ever after. Cheers!"
No comments:
Post a Comment