Monday, January 3, 2011

New Years Ressies

Its that time of year again! That time of year where you feel so down about yourself after the holidays because of Christmas eating, drinking, and the like, the time of year where your clothes are tighter than they were 6 weeks ago, and the time of year where you pledge to get your life in order and do things you have been putting off for months. This year, I have multiple New Years resolutions. I know you couldn't probably care any less, but I am going to go through them anyway.

1. Floss one time per day - My dear friend Sarah flosses twice a day. When I found this out I laughed uncontrollably and called her a dork. Before now, the only time that floss touched my teeth was at the dentist. I have always been good about brushing, but flossing was stupid to me. WEELLL, did you know....

Gums are loaded with bacteria. Some are good, some are bad. Flossing between each tooth everyday keeps plaque from forming and the harmful bacteria at a safe level. If teeth are not flossed, these bacteria multiply and can wreak havoc on your gum tissues, causing gingivitis which left untreated can lead to periodontitis. Because periodontitis is an inflammatory disease, it can easily spread throughout the body, having a devastating affect on the heart, lungs and premature births.“What are the risks of periodontitis?” Periodontitis as a result of not flossing can cause inflammatory disease throughout the body. Study’s have found links to the following health issues:

Cardiovascular disease:harmful bacteria that enter the bloodstream through infected gums can cause heart disease, clogged arteries, and stroke
Respiratory disease: overgrowth of bacteria in the mouth can be aspirated and settle in the lung tissues
Premature births: women with periodontal disease are more likely to give birth prematurely

Floss once a day? I think so.

2. Moisturize my face nightly. Alright, alright, I admit that I never wash/cleanse/moisturize my face, EVER. I just started taking off my eye makeup a year ago. Baby steps. I have ordered Dior Hydra Life face moisturizer. It came highly recommended from the above said friend, Sarah. It is $56 a jar, so it better be good! If not, your ass is grass, Sarah.

Why, you ask, my change of thought? I have been noticing more and more I am getting bags under my eyes, and a wrinkle here and there. I guess in your mid twenties these are the sort of things we have to be doing.

3. Eat only whole natural foods. This one comes in two parts. The first part is more strict. For the first 6 weeks (wellness weeks is what I am calling them) I plan on eating only foods that come from the earth. For example - fruits, veggies, whole grains, organic unprocessed meats, cheeses and milk, nuts, eggs etc. For the past year or so I have gotten into the awful habit of eating a lot of processed and prepackaged foods. I really have come to not like it and realized that it was a problem. This strict eating plan will hopefully get me in the habit of eating healthfully and holistically for good while enjoying the prepackaged processed crap sometimes. These 6 weeks will most likely be hell, but I know I will feel so much better by the end.

During these self proclaimed "wellness weeks" I will also be doing yoga once a week, getting a massage from massage envy once a week, and maintaining my three times a week cardio regimen. I also purchased a toxin release package a few months ago on groupon.com to River Oaks Detox and figured now would be a great time to use it.
http://www.riveroaksdetox.com/cart/

Good luck with all of your New Years Ressies!!

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Your social & hygienic responsibility is blowing my mind!!! So proud of my little elf... *grin*

    ReplyDelete